Saturday, May 23, 2009

Spring

This quarter has been one of the craziest I have ever experience, but in a really good way. I have not experienced a quarter that has been as eventful as this one, but I'll try my best to sum everything up shortly.

1. Samahang Modern- Damn, this has been the craziest quarter ever. We worked hella hard to bounce back from the previous quarter. We pulled off a set that was quite impressive, and I really saw us becoming more of a family throughout the process. Battle Royale and Ultimate Brawl were amazing competitions and they were both enjoyable. I am so honored and blessed to have experienced a year being on a hip-hop dance team. I am still inspired to continue to become the best dancer that I can be.

2. Samahang Pilipino- We started the quarter off with a week of action for the Campaign for Pilipino Studies, and that culminated in the passage of the first-ever concentration in Pilipino Studies within the Asian American Studies major, something that I will be taking up. But our work hasn't stopped there. We have progressed so much throughout the year, and I am so damn glad to have been apart of this amazing executive board, people that are dedicated to the betterment of the Pilipino community. I am proud of us, and I know that our work will continue on next year.

3. Samahang Pilipino Cultural Night- Although I have only been in two SPCNs so far, I can definitely see the massive improvement from last year. The process itself was so much better, and I can tell that all of the cast members have grasped a better understanding and appreciation for the Pilipino culture. Congratulations to Kimi and the rest of the SPCN Committee for putting together a production that really spoke inspiration to our audience. Lapay Bantigue for the win!

4. USAC Elections- I definitely love this part of Spring Quarter. The political views of the UCLA campus suddenly come to life through Students First! and Bruins United. This year's elections were very, very interesting and crazy indeed. Not only did we see the alliance between two slates, but we also saw another victorious sweep in council seats for Students First!, with one of those people being my mentor. I am so proud of him and all of the work that he does to serve his community. I know that he will be doing great things next year, and I am glad to be here to help him.

5. Samahang Pilipino Elections- It was a year ago that I ran for Activities Coordinator for this wonderful organization, and a year later, I saw myself running for External Vice President for the organization. I seriously have love for this organization and for the larger Pilipino community. I definitely love serving my community by trying my best to do things that will help with the betterment of this community. And yesterday, I was elected once again to serve this community and to continue this work that I am passionate for.

Samahang Pilipino Board 09-10 is going to be amazing:
President: Pearl Anne Pagarigan
Internal Vice President: Ryan Fernandez
External Vice President: JOHN CHRISTIAN "JC" DE VERA
Adminstrative Coordinator: John Gabriel Pantaleon
Financial Coordinator: Ronald Arruejo
Retention Coordinator:
Outreach Coordinator: Vicky Manuel
Education Coordinator: Sharlyn Fajardo
SPCN Coordinator: Rachelle Alcantara
Cultural Coordinator: Paloma Doreza
Community Projects Coordinator: Edith Bell
Activities Coordinator: Kristine Isidro
Pinays Coordinator:
Kabalikat Coordinator: Ruth Mendez

I am already excited for what the future has in store.

No comments: