Monday, March 2, 2009

Bittersweet

I am currently in San Jose on a Monday while school is still in session. Thank goodness for no Monday classes. The short weekend that I have spent at home has been worthwhile for the most part, but there's a tint of bittersweetness as well. Despite having three hours of sleep the previous night, Trisha's cotillion on Saturday was so much fun, and it was hilarious regulating at her after party. Sunday was a really chill day. And today, I'll be leaving back to LA.

So where does that hint of bittersweetness come into play? I guess it's just the fact that when I come home, I'm always facing some type of family problem. There are so many to deal with, and I seriously don't know what to do sometimes. The country's recession isn't helping out either, in fact, I know it's making it worse not just for my family, but many of America's families. Despite being welcomed by all of my friends, there's still something sad about coming home, and it sucks.

Sometimes I really wish I came from a traditional family, a mom and dad that is happily married, a few siblings, all living under one roof. But no, that's not the case for me. I have been the target of custody battles throughout my life. I have been estranged from my mother for almost 6 years. I've lived in a house with my aunts, uncles, and cousins under one roof. And to make matters worse, my dad is going through some tough times right now, that could potentially affect my attendance at UCLA for the next two years.

Yes, life certainly isn't easy. And I think that's when the quote, "Life is a beautiful struggle," comes into play, because it certainly is. I've faced some tough obstacles throughout my life, and I've been able to get through them. This time will be no different. I know that I have many people to turn to when I need support, and that's all I really need.

Despite these hardtimes, I am thankful for this life of mine. My family's not perfect, but who's is? I have amazing friends that are down for me, as I am down for them. With this in mind, nothing's going to stop me. I won't let it happen. This is my life, and I am going to live it the way I envision it. And for now, I just have to bear these tough times, and just keep on going.

-JC

No comments: